Keeping it All in the Family with an In-Law Suite
It is estimated that 20% of the U.S. population now lives with multiple generations under one roof. An increasingly aging population offers its own challenges but creating living spaces for your loved ones within your own home doesn’t have to be one of them.
There are many options. Do you add on to your existing space to accommodate your senior family members? Do you reconfigure your existing space to maximize access, privacy and functionality of the in-law suite? Or do you create an entirely separate living space on your property to fit their needs and wants?
Our design experts can work with you to determine the best approach for your situation.
Building Considerations for an In-Law Suite
When planning an in-law suite addition, take these ideas into consideration :
- Creating a space that allows both convenience and privacy.
- Wider doorways to provide accessibility of wheelchairs and walkers.
- Bath and shower doors that swing open for easy entry and exit; no lip designs that reduce the hazard of tripping.
- Installation of lever door handles and grab bars to help seniors get around.
- Maximizing existing plumbing, electrical and HVAC arrangements.
You want your in-laws to be comfortable while enjoying their new space. Let FSBD help you.